Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Last Song pgs. 1-13

I just recently decided to read the book The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks. I decided that I wanted to read it after a friend of mine had recommended it to me and I also have seen the movie before. I always hate watching the movie before reading the book because I feel that I cant make my own images for things and that I'm stuck with the ones in the movie. But, I heard this book was really good so I had to try it.
In the first chapter it talks about Ronnie, she is on the way to Georgia to visit her Dad with her brother. Her parents are divorced and from what I've read in the book so far the divorce was not a good one. Ronnie after her parents divorce took it very harshly. She turned to more dark clothes, and "is only friends with kids with at least 3 piercings" as her mom said. Also, in the book Ronnie tells her Dad that she is not playing the piano where I know is foreshadowing in the book because the piano us something that her dad and her share. The chapter also talks about how Ronnie has completely shut of her Dad and basically most of her life. Her grades plummeted and she didn't care about anything. She even got caught shoplifting. And she protests to her Mom during the entire car ride to Georgia about how she does not want to stay with her Dad. Although her Mom insists that she does go and basically forces her to.
The chapter also talks a little about Ronnie's brother Noah, who is very sweet and loves his Dad. He is like the common 9 year old hoping to get the approval of his father. Unlike Ronnie, Noah did not take the divorce out on the Dad and has been looking foreword to visit for a long time.
Overall, I really have enjoyed the book so far. Although it is not like the normal book choice that I would pick, I still really have enjoyed reading it. I like the way Sparks describes Ronnie, oddly enough, I like Ronnie's character even though she seems angry. I can't wait to read more into this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment